In Pictures: Autumn in New York

It’s not just a classic Sinatra song. Autumn in New York is unquestionably one of the most enchanting experiences in the universe (I may be a little biased). The air is fresh, the sky is bright and pumpkins decorate the stoops of the brownstones.

Those who read this blog know that — as a former New Yorker — I return to the city to reconnect with friends, with that NYC feeling and most of all with myself.

pumpkins in New York City

Pumpkins get you into the autumnal mood, out on the street and in restaurants

New York City subway by Jenography.net

wigs in New York City

The blank stares of the models chill you to the bone

Ambulance in Brooklyn Heights

In Brooklyn Heights, a cyclist rolls by while two workers direct an ambulance, inching past a lorry

Over 4 days this past weekend, I went with two of my closest friends from Brooklyn to Manhattan to the Bronx, from the city’s oldest Irish tavern to a cutting-edge nail art salon/gallery in Chinatown and beyond, falling in love with the city again.

Whenever my feet hit the dirty gum-strewn steps to the subway, whenever I lift a cocktail in a gorgeously lit bar, whenever I sweat on a machine in a Soul Cycle class, I’m reminded why New York’s drumbeat is like no other.

These pictures are just a slice of my New York story one weekend. What are your New York stories?

Arts students near Cooper Union, NYC by Jenography

Art students work near Cooper Union

Vanity Projects nail art in Chinatown, New York City

Getting manicures at Vanity Projects, a salon/video gallery that does nail art

nails by Vanity Projects, NYC

The final result: 2 sets of gel nails and a limited edition Dior shade

A puppet by Lucrecia Novoa at the Frida Al Fresco evening, Bronx Botanical Gardens

One of Lucrecia Novoa’s puppets at the Frida Al Fresco evening, Bronx Botanical Gardens

More tips and inspiration for visiting NYC:

New York City: A girls’ day out in Williamsburg

New York City: Touring street art in Bushwick, Brooklyn

Returning to New York City as a mother

Share:

1. October 23, 2015 / 10:04 pm

Oh I love New York Jen, it must be fabulous in the fall too. Sounds like you had a great trip back there, you must have some great memories. I went for a walk down the backstreets when I was there with someone who used to live in NY. It was a bit like Sex in the City going down leafy streets where the houses were beautiful and had iron staircases down the side of them. Very different to doing the tourist trail. Lovely 🙂

• October 23, 2015 / 10:27 pm

Charly Dove, sounds like a wonderful stroll. That’s one of the great things about NYC — it really looks like it does in films or on TV, and so much of it is absolutely beautiful. In my opinion, even the dirty, gritty parts are gorgeous.

If you get a chance, do go in the autumn. Central Park is stunning but even walking down city streets fringed with the yellow, gold and red leaves of urban trees transforms the experience.

Thanks for commenting!

2. October 23, 2015 / 11:15 pm

I was in New York State visiting friends in Larchmont at this time of year a few years ago. I was blown away by the incredible Halloween decorations at every home and garden – one house even had a full-size spooky model of a stagecoach and six horses out front!

• October 30, 2015 / 12:19 pm

People really do get into it with the decorations!

3. October 24, 2015 / 4:52 pm

I went to NYC a couple of times when I worked as a Money Broker, spending three months there at some point, but in the Spring. I have always wanted to see it in the fall and love the way you put it – a drumbeat like no other. Indeed. I re-live it when it’s on the telly but miss it in my soul and hope to return. Thank you for these insightful reminders and so glad you had such a wonderful time and were able to re-connect with yourself 🙂

• October 28, 2015 / 12:26 pm

How lovely to have a job that took you there. Thanks for commenting. Maybe I’ll see you there soon, Anya. 😉

4. November 4, 2015 / 11:59 pm

I am really looking forward to my next visit to NY – and there will certainly be one – as I think I’ll see yet another new side by visiting with my daughter. So far I’ve done the main tourist spots but also the quirky hidden side, have been in winter and summer so it’s always different.

• November 5, 2015 / 12:57 pm

That’s one of the best things about travelling with kids. As they grow up, the experiences you have when you return to the same places with them evolve and change — you discover new things in old places.