What can happen when you go away for an adult weekend

So it was supposed to be just a fun little jaunt to Copenhagen. Just a short little anniversary getaway with some friends who got married the same month we did. No pressure, no stress. Drop the daughter off at granny’s, catch the plane the next day, sleep in, walk ‘round, have afternoon drinks, eat well. Perhaps some adult situations.

And it was that. Copenhagen is an incredibly liveable city. On Sunday, the sun was out so we sat by the canal, had a beer. People tucked into lunch with blankets tucked around the legs. Even a minor Easyjet delay couldn’t take the glow off the afternoon.

Then the next morning I arrived at granny’s to discover that my daughter has spent Sunday evening vomiting over herself, the bed, the brand new slippers granny bought her, her favourite oversized teddy bear, the nursery rug. Grandpa’s note read:

12:15 – Projectile vomit covers nursery. Child in guest room. Grandpa in deep shock.

1:15 – Sick again.

Yet to make that vomit-covered list: granny’s car, which got a soaking in an abortive outing the next day.

She also developed a rash around her mouth that didn’t go away when pressed by a glass, necessitating a quick run to Casualty by grandparents to be told that she had none of the symptoms of meningitis. Even the rash was the wrong type.

I’ve never been so glad to hear she had failed a test.

Everyone involved behaved impeccably – grandparents being very che sera sera, daughter not vomiting in the car on the way back to London, smelly teddy bear leaving graciously.

But I can’t help feeling this might be the last grown-up weekend away we have for a very long time.

I’m a journalist and blogger. Previously I was The Times’s online lifestyle editor and Alpha Mummy blogger. Now I’m co-founder of BritMums and BritMums Live! – our annual blogging conference that draws hundreds. Follow me on Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and Google+.

1. October 19, 2010 / 9:43 pm

Big hugs Jen. Glad she’s OK.
    xx

2. Tula Karras
    October 19, 2010 / 10:15 pm

Yes, so happy she’s well. The “glass” trick…never heard of that before. Is that a UK thing?

3. Susan
    October 19, 2010 / 11:31 pm

Ha! The headline led me to believe you got yourself knocked up on this trip.

4. October 20, 2010 / 3:37 am

Oh, bad luck. That’s a horrible story to come home to. Horrid for the grandparents too – all that responsibility, and wondering whether to contact the absent parent or not.
    Don’t let it spoil the chance of another getaway. Surely that piece of bad luck would only strike once?

5. October 20, 2010 / 11:56 am

ha ha. not knocked up but very reliant on the kindness of two fantastic grandparents.

6. October 20, 2010 / 1:35 pm

Oh my goodness – you need to make it up to the grandparents and pronto! (think what an awful weekend you’d have had if you hadn’t been away!!)

7. October 21, 2010 / 12:05 pm

Oh dear! Glad she is ok and it was nothing serious. Does seem to be the way of the world – my parents had to take our youngest to A&E the first time we left the kids overnight. Am dreading going away for my husband’s 40th in a few weeks for this very reason!

8. annie murchie
    October 21, 2010 / 3:38 pm

the grandparents never ever considered getting in touch with the parents; why would they ruina danish party Silly Grannie

9. annie murchie
    October 21, 2010 / 3:39 pm

I have it on good medical authority that no one really knows the glass trick… should the rash remain or go away under the pressure of the champagne flute