Afternoon tea in London: Harvey Nichols 5th Floor

Harvey Nichols 5th Floor Restaurant

109-125 Knightsbridge, Belgravia, London SW1X 7RJ

Harvey Nicks 5th Floor cafe - Jenography

A modern setting for afternoon tea, with an open kitchen and skylights

afternoon tea menu at Harvey Nicks

The menu for afternoon tea at Harvey Nicks features a woman’s perfectly manicured hand: “Pinkies up” it entreats. Tea here though is less a prim and proper affair and more about being in the midst of the fun and buzzy environment of a temple of fashion and commerce.

Sitting amid the unadorned wooden tables, you might be next to a trio of women having cocktails, a family having light meal, a couple with toddler twins who had popped up for snacks and other afternoon tea-ers. The mood is lively, the sound level is high. Just across the low edge of the restaurant lies a conveyor belt sushi restaurant and the bubble tea counter. At times my mother found it hard to hear our conversation — something to keep in mind with large parties or those who have difficulty hearing.

Within this casual atmosphere, we were served a range of savoury and sweet treats that ranged from interesting to sublime.

Scones at Harvey Nichols

Scones are served with strawberry jam and salted caramel (just visible in white pot on the right)

afternoon tea at Harvey Nichols London

The scones — plain and raisin — were tasty, and served with strawberry jam and salted caramel (my mother enjoyed it but is it gilding the lily?). I inhaled the coronation chicken on brioche, my sister-in-law liked the cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches. The roasted vegetable wrap looked tempting, but disappointingly the filling had made the tortilla soggy and unappetising. We skipped it to move onto the French pastries.

Harvey Nicks afternoon tea pastries - Jenography

Jenography eating an eclair at Harvey Nichols

Enjoying my favourite item

There we discovered the tangy delights of the lime pie, a perfect pistachio macaroon, a red velvet cupcake with its curly hat of icing topped with a black and white decorated disc, and a light and heavenly mini-eclair. At the 5th Floor the food was the highlight for a casual, light-hearted afternoon tea experience. And where else can you sip tea, eat tiny sandwiches, then admire the Jimmy Choos, the Alexander McQueen, the Balenciaga and the Victoria Beckham on the way out?

The look: Buzz, chatter and high-gloss clatter

Tasty highlight: The mini chocolate eclairs were the best I’ve ever tasted

Perfect for: City lovers who enjoy a buzzy atmosphere with a bit of luxury shopping on the side

Child-friendly? Yes! From babies to school-age kids to teens enjoying cream tea, we saw a range of ages, and the casual vibe means no need to coax them into “fancy” clothes

Price: Available from 3-5pm. Traditional Afternoon Tea, £35 per person, Champagne Afternoon Tea, £40

You can make reservations, but on the day we went (Sunday late afternoon) there were plenty of tables.

www.harveynichols.com/news/2015/07/13/afternoon-tea-london

+44 207 235 5250 / reception@harveynichols.com

Pin for later

Harvey Nichols afternoon tea for pinterest

Wander Mum

1. March 15, 2017 / 8:49 pm

Oh dear, you don’t expect a soggy bottomed wrap at Harvey Nicks do you?? Looks good though, great that it’s child friendly and the price isn’t unreasonable either.
    Nat.x

• March 15, 2017 / 11:02 pm

Ha ha. Yes, exactly! What would Mary Berry say? It’s very child-friendly, even with babies and toddlers.

2. March 16, 2017 / 9:44 am

Looks yummy!

3. March 19, 2017 / 11:26 am

How delicious does it look! Although dearie me to the soggy tortilla. Why have i never managed to get here?

• March 20, 2017 / 1:44 pm

It’s the perfect place to drop by, especially you are out *shopping*!

• March 28, 2017 / 5:52 pm

So many places do it. It’s nice to find versions that are a little bit different.

4. March 25, 2017 / 6:26 pm

yum!! take me there x

5. March 28, 2017 / 7:18 pm

I love the afternoon tea at Harvey Nichols. They do a mini one for children as well. Yours looked scrumptious, what a treat! #CityTripping

• March 29, 2017 / 8:55 am

Jo, thanks for the note. It was indeed a treat.

6. March 28, 2017 / 8:04 pm

Those french pastries look amazing! It’s not really my thing, afternoon tea, but if Harvey Nichols are doing it I’m sure it will be mighty fine! #citytripping

• March 29, 2017 / 8:56 am

Well, Alex, the great thing is you could go with friends or kids who have afternoon tea and you could have a salad, main or dare I say it cocktail?

7. March 28, 2017 / 10:25 pm

Mmmm we have had two afternoon teas with Jamie now. Both a massive hit with him. Oh no to the soggy wrap but the rest looks super yummy #citytripping

• March 28, 2017 / 11:18 pm

It’s lovely to find an afternoon tea that’s family friendly. This one definitely fits the bill.

8. March 28, 2017 / 10:35 pm

Oh so jealous! I miss the not-overly sweet, overly-glazed pastries in the UK. The US just figures the more sugar the better. #CityTripping

• March 28, 2017 / 11:16 pm

You’ve hit the nail on the head: sometimes those pastries look so delicious but the heavy glaze can be very intense!

9. March 29, 2017 / 1:20 am

I love that “Pinkies Up” photo / advertisement. Looks so cool! I have never had tea (I mean, proper tea in great London style). Hope to have that experience one day. #citytripping

• March 29, 2017 / 8:57 am

Yes very stylish! Browsing the gorgeous clothes and shoes suits the Pinkies Up theme.

10. March 29, 2017 / 3:58 am

This looks so lovely! My older son and I love to have tea together… I’ll be pinning this for later! #citytripping

• March 29, 2017 / 8:59 am

Hilary, thanks! If you go let us know how it is.

11. March 30, 2017 / 1:37 pm

Sounds fab! I do like a bit of afternoon tea – and that’s not a bad price either, especially the champagne one! Although would have steer clear of the handbag section afterwards. Alcohol and shopping never end well for my credit card! Thanks for linking #citytripping

• April 5, 2017 / 12:37 pm

I find I absolutely don’t mind shopping after a glass of bubbly. It’s later when the bill arrives that I regret it!

12. March 30, 2017 / 7:41 pm

You all certainly know how to do tea the right way! Everything looks so scrumptious, particularly the salted caramel – that is my absolute favorite!! #citytripping

• April 5, 2017 / 12:38 pm

Ha. Salted caramel is not my cup of tea (so to speak) but my mother and sister-in-law loved it.

13. March 30, 2017 / 9:13 pm

Salted caramel’s an interesting choice. I like the idea of slathering it on, on top of the jam! The afternoon tea sounds competitively priced, given what other similar places charge.

• March 30, 2017 / 9:55 pm

Nell, I think you are an afternoon tea expert! It *is* a good price. You definitely get a more casual feel to the experience while enjoying scrummy food. If you want a white glove and tinkling piano music experience, this isn’t it. But you definitely come away feeling like it’s a special experience.

14. April 24, 2017 / 3:14 pm

Didn’t you, Susanna, and I have lunch here once? The name sounds familiar.

• April 24, 2017 / 3:19 pm

We did! We ate in the restaurant and it was lovely!