Right now on BritMums we’re running the Piggy Bank Tales competition with Virgin Money. Share your money-saving tale and be entered to win £500! As a founder of BritMums, I can’t take part in the competition – it’s a paid project for us – but with all the great tips being shared, I was inspired.
Here are 5 ways I save. Enter the Piggy Bank Tales competition yourself and share your tips!
1. When it comes to clothes, shop little and often. Swing by the sale rack or discount shops and – most importantly – be prepared to leave empty-handed if you don’t find anything perfect.
2. Use cash. It’s easy to let spending get away from you if you always use your debit card. But when you see the tens and twenties leaving your wallet, the spending is quantifiable.
3. Add to a savings account every week with a direct debit. Even £10 a month adds up.
4. Do your Christmas shopping all year long. Whenever I see something I think my mother, brother or sister-in-law might like, I buy it and keep it in my gifts cupboard. It avoids December debt and a January and February of paying off credit cards.
5. Play the long game. Little savings add up over time and take less of a bite out of your weekly budget. Before you know it, you’ve got a growing bank account, painlessly.
Official info about the Piggy Bank Tales Competition:
Share your money-saving stories or tips to take part in our Piggy Bank Tales Competition, sponsored by Virgin Money. You could win one of two £500 prizes which you can choose to invest in a Virgin Stocks and Shares ISA
Taking part is simple:
We’d also love you to grab the badge here and insert in your post to help spread the word.